Whistleblower

Whistleblower's musings... Then some trivia. Write to me at ranjanyumnam@gmail.com

Friday, July 02, 2004

Few thoughts for Ratan Thiyam

Sir,
Ever since my humble opinion about you and your fantastic works was posted at the e-pao.net, I have been deluged with angry mails from your legions of fans. Some of them are so outraged by my temerity to criticise you, that they call me names even as they sling mud at me to tarnish my professional integrity and competence. I am not sure if anyone of them does indeed have your blessings, but to respond to them will be akin to stooping down - and worse, promoting and legitimising the kind of vicious personal attacks they are indulging in. I abhor their tactics. In a public discourse in a polite society, we don't use slanderous terms or resort to childish arguments that target one's age or abilities. I wish they had more discretion. I support contest of ideas, not hurtling of innuendoes back and forth. That's why I am writing this to you directly, to clarify further my thoughts and motives.

In my piece, I admitted that I had never seen any of your plays, a fact, which your fans have exploited, as a stick to punish me for my "irreverence" towards you. Never did they realise that I did so because I didn't want to dupe the readers into believing something that I am not. I was being honest. Being transparent. Being ethical.

But this doesn't mean that I didn't make any attempt to see your works from a close range. In fact, the whole idea came to me after watching "Some roots can grow upwards," an exceptionally well-produced documentary on you.

Despite what your supporters say, a fact cannot be wished away, and that is: Your works are bereft of any genuine Manipuri theme; and by that I mean non-hybrid, undiluted, untampered and pristine traditional influence. You seem to be so much obsessed with reaching out to Indian audience that you have given your roots the boot. How often do you perform for the Manipuri audience in Manipur in a year? How often have you allowed the local journalists to visit you and take a glance at your craft? Kavita Joshi, the director of the documentary boasted that she and her production crew was the only group that has been allowed such close access to the Chorus Repertory Theatre in ages.

Sir, lest I be mistaken as chronically cynical person, allow me to offer you a few suggestions. One of the arguments trotted out in your defense is that, had you not co-opted the Hindu themes in your plays, you would have never reached where you are today; you would have been a nobody, an unsung director. One of your fans say that is what "smart strategising" is all about; another points out that you are a good "businessman". I can't agree more.

I am not totally against your riding pillion on Hinduism to promote your works. What I am sugesting is that since you are already past the threshold of obscurity to being a world famous director, you can now afford to show your gratefulness in earnest to your roots. I am realistic and won't put all my eggs in your basket, but I and the rest of your less gifted Manipuris would appreciate you much if you make an attempt towards this direction. Please give us something that is truly Manipuri, like a trendbusting play with Laiharaoba theme. Can you turn original Manipuri tradition into a globally appealing genre of theatre? Can you globalise the Kuki-Naga-Meitei-Pangal cultural lore?

Now, all your fans are fans of globalisation too, and I count myself as one, but not at the expense of my own history. While globalisation is a fashionable thing to talk about, it is foolish to completely cut ties with the local tradition. Smart companies and marketing companies are now realising the value of combining local flavour and preferences with their global plans. "G-local-isation" has arrived, and it is an idea whose time has come. Never has an opportunity for you to experiment with Manipuri themes presented itself to you more favourably than now. Grab it. Don't miss the glocalisation bus.

Hope you don't mind my impudence. Keep up the good work. And all the best.

Regards,
Ranjan Yumnam

Copy to:
All your fans