Whistleblower

Whistleblower's musings... Then some trivia. Write to me at ranjanyumnam@gmail.com

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Amnesty International anti-semitic?
One of the hazards of being a global watchdog on human rights violations is that it is prone to criticisms from different quarters who believe their case have not been adequately addressed. And that includes people like me who last week cast aspersions on the moral authority and authentity of the India report that I "thought" was too lenient on NE. One reader of this blog has even a more blighted view of the organisation, which I think is unfair. He wrote:

"If you are pro-Amnesty Intl., you are anti-semitic. Why is it that the
hoilier-than-thou Amnesty Intl. have *nothing* to say when Daniel Pearl was massacred in Pakistan, and when Nick Berg's head was chopped off in Iraq ? Is it because both were
Jewish and a bastard from the religion of peace chopped their head off ?
I would like to pee on and puke on amnesty and its supporters. Also, where
is Amnesty as China massacres thousands every year for their political beliefs ? Amnesty takes on "nice" targets like the United States - where they can use the friendly legal
system and a left-wing press to further their goals. They do not take on the real offenders like Sadddam [before the US liberation]; China [now] and the Osamas of the world.

Shame on Amnesty. and shame on the Indian liberals who quote Amnesty."


Taking his views at the face value - even though I have never met a jew in my life - I probed deeper into his accusations and found solace in the fact that he might have just gone overboard and off the mark. These are what I found:
1. AI was equally worked up like anybody else on the crudeness of the murder of Daniel Pearl and issued a statement.
2. China is one of the major countries under the spotlight of AI. Here's a report.

As for being liberal, I would choose liberalism any day over right wing fanaticism.