Whistleblower

Whistleblower's musings... Then some trivia. Write to me at ranjanyumnam@gmail.com

Thursday, October 20, 2005

‘Stars help create awareness for a cause’

PERIZAAD ZORABIAN, actor on celebrities endorsing social causes

You’re in Delhi to be part of a social cause. In between your shooting schedules, how do you find the time for all this?

I do manage to find the time because I’m deeply touched by the plight of special children. So, I try to help in raising funds for their welfare as often as I
can. Since my mother had worked
in schools that cared for special children, I have a certain affinity towards them.

But don’t celebrities often hog all the limelight, making the cause a secondary issue?

That’s not true. Since the masses idolise celebrities, they turn up to listen to them. And then follow the examples set by them.

Isn’t star endorsement of charities a Hollywood import?

Yes, if the stars are doing so to gain publicity. However, I’d say that one needn’t shout from rooftops about what they feel about a certain cause. These things come straight from the heart.

Tell us about your forthcoming Bollywood projects.

I am working in Ek Ajnabee which also stars Amitabh Bachchan and Arjun Rampal.