Whistleblower

Whistleblower's musings... Then some trivia. Write to me at ranjanyumnam@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Rhyme 'n' Reason

AR Rehman is shy. But don't confuse 'shy' with fear.
He's focussed and that's one reason why his music stands out in the Bollywood context.
Does he consciously work on being unique? "No, I just create music in the manner I know best," he says. "To me, good music is not just nice tunes but a collection of other good things like meaningful lyrics and production values."
That's easier said than done for Rehman lives in two cities: Chennai and London.
"I don't need to be in Mumbai to compose music, which is a universal language and can be created anywhere."Does his lifestyle leave room for family and friends? "I'm busy all the time; unlike other singers, I don't even have time for riyaaz."He pauses to hum Mangala Mangala. What next? "Akbar-Jodha, Chamki, Rang De Basanti. On the international front, I'm doing the score for Lord Of The Rings, the musical."
He's come a long way from Roja, the film that "changed" his life, working with Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and sharing the stage with Michael Jackson. "Now, I want to give back to society. That's why I'm campaigning for the elimination of poverty."
He's penned an anthem for this campaign — Pray For Me, Brother. Rehman is shy, but he doesn’t fear anything.